5.20.2011

Throw a Tie Dye Shower!

(Onesie against my wave blanket.)
(Pile of clothes jumbled in stroller - storage, i neezit.)

Ever since before I was pregnant, I had this fabulous idea of inviting my students to a tie dye party where we would create a little hand-made wardrobe for LO.

Last Thursday I introduced my class to Hippie 101: the tie dye t-shirt.

Total cost (for me): about $70


Given the steep price tag, would I do this again? Yes, but I'd wait for the sales. I would have bought the onesies and tees anyway, and now I'll think of my students when I see them.

A couple of suggestions to keep your tie dye process (mostly) mess free in the classroom:

  1. Fold and tie the tees first, while still dry.
  2. Take two buckets: Soak tees in one with water and baking soda for 1/2 hour. Fill dye bottles and carry outside in other bucket.
  3. Carry both buckets, a couple of newspapers, and plastic bags outside.
  4. Take out dye bottles and place on flat surface. Spread out newspaper 3-4 sheets thick. Wring out tees and transfer to newspaper. Empty wet bucket.
  5. Squirt tees with dye (2-3 colors are best). Pick up with plastic bag, and then tie bag closed. Don't open for 24 hours. Take home; rinse and wash next day by itself or with other tie dye tees.
(We also labeled the student t-shirts with folded tape on the rubber bands or ties, but for baby clothes this is obviously not a problem.)

1 comment:

  1. Do you remember the tye-die towels we made at Jess's house before we all went off to college? I used mine for years, I think I still had it a few years ago when I was doing hot yoga all the time. The huge towel was the right size for my yoga mat.

    Congrats, dear!

    ReplyDelete

Remember the Golden Rule.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...